Friday 21 January 2011

Sandro Botticelli and other discoveries.

Best Blogger Tips
In November, my family and I holidayed in Europe - Italy, France, Switzerland and England to be exact. As part of our travels we did the whole museum/art gallery thing, part of which was a visit to the Uffizi gallery Florence. Like other visitors before me, I marvelled at the art work, but was struck by one particular artist - Sandro Botticelli . I'd studied Botticelli's The Birth of Venus at school and university, and was familiar with that painting from the countless advertising campaigns it has been used in. I wanted to see Botticelli's work, but wasn't overly fussed,  There were other works I was desperate to see, after all, I knew The Birth of Venus, right?
Wrong!
Nothing prepared me for the sheer beauty of the original work. I moved from it to Allegory of Spring, again and again. I'd have stayed longer, but we had to move on.
Now I'm home, I can't help wondering why we let these priceless pieces of work be used for advertising. It seems to me such a demeaning use of such incredible skill.
 Just saying!


No comments:

Post a Comment